Airswift has been tasked by one of our major Engineering clients to seek an Utility Worker to work in their facilities located in The Villages, Florida on a 3-months contract.
Day to day responsibilities:
- Perform tasks in the preventive maintenance of water distribution equipment to include, but not limited to, pipe, valves, hydrants, main line flushing. Perform fire flow and pressure tests and maintains corrosion protection of water lines and valves.
- Locate utility lines from drawings and maps.
- Perform work in assembling, laying and aligning water distribution service lines. Assist in excavating and backfilling sidewalks, streets and trenches.
- Expose mains and lines following safe dig practices.
- Install and remove trench shoring.
- Cut mains, lines and pipes, thread and bend pipes and caulk joints.
- Utilize hand and power tools and equipment including, but not limited to: pavement breakers, jackhammers, earth tampers.
- Make customer contact concerning required repairs/service/complaints.
- Inspect water meters to verify that the meter is reading accurately. 6. Perform other duties as assigned.
Previous education & experience required:
- High School Diploma or GED
- one and one-half (1.5) years’ experience in water utility operations, plumbing, or heavy equipment operation (i.e. backhoe, trackhoe and loaders).
- Possess a Valid Florida Driver's License and possess a commercial driver's license from another State converted to Florida within 1 month, and the ability to pass a comprehensive background check.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Operational characteristics of water production, treatment and distribution systems
- Principles and practices of water treatment system maintenance and repair and water distribution line maintenance
- Methods and techniques used in locating water mains and turning off water service
- Methods and techniques used in the maintenance and repair of water distribution systems
- Water distribution system lay out, hydraulics and operational characteristics
- Operational characteristics of a variety of maintenance equipment, tools, and vehicles
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices
- Department policies and procedures
- Perform routine water distribution maintenance tasks
- Assist with line maintenance and new service activities
- Conduct safety inspections and ensure proper maintenance of all vehicles and equipment
- Operate and maintain a variety of equipment in a safe and effective manner
- Understand and follow oral and written instructions
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Maintain accurate and detailed records of work performed
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work
- May work at, be located at or required to travel to Water/Wastewater Treatment Plants, laboratory, warehouse or vehicle shop and sites may be under construction. Office/Field work may include travel from site to site and exposure to computer screens/cell phone.
Should you be interested in this exciting opportunity with a major Engineering company please apply to this advert with your up-to-date resume. Please note that there is no per diem or relocation provided.