Our client, a major Upstream company within the Oil & Gas Industry, is seeking to hire a Catalyst Lab Technician to work in a 6 months contract position in Richmond, CA.
The Catalyst Lab Technician is involved with synthesis, characterization, production, and qualification at all levels in the Catalyst Supply Chain, ranging from raw materials [i.e., aluminas and zeolites], product intermediates [i.e., zeolite filter cakes and catalyst base templates], to finished and ultimately, spent catalysts. Additionally, the technologist provides support in the form of preparing size-specific catalyst charges for performance testing, as well as the preparation of size-specific catalysts to be shipped and loaded into refinery reactors worldwide. Working in alignment with the rest of the Catalyst Lab team as well as relevant stakeholders, all work conducted is done with the aim of providing support for the company's overall Catalyst Supply Business: R&D and scale-up/commercialization/manufacture of both raw materials and catalysts, as well as in technical support of refineries that utilize our technology. R&D work often leads to new the development of new technologies and products that may be patented and/or lead to commercialization in the future. This role requires strict adherence to lab safety and compliance policies to uphold the site safety culture.
- Prepares laboratory size catalysts on specialized equipment for mixing, extruding drying and calcining.
- Prepares small catalyst samples for analytical inspections and performance testing.
- Prepares complex metal solutions.
- Performs metal separation and purification procedures by solvent extraction.
- Performs physical tests on laboratory and commercial catalysts.
- General wet chemistry methods
- Keeping Chemical Inventory and keeping Catalyst Storage Inventory
- Report data in written reports
- Maintain a safe, clean, well-organized lab, meeting all safety and environmental regulations
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemistry, Biology, Natural Sciences, Earth Sciences or related field.
- Minimum of (1) year of laboratory experience
- Experience in wet chemistry procedures and analytical techniques.
- Mechanical aptitude for operation and maintenance of process instrumentation and lab-scale industrial equipment [mixers, extruders].
- Microsoft Suite proficiency
- Prompt with delivery of data and results
- Demonstrates understanding of SDS and where to obtain information regarding hazards and proper storage/handling of a particular substance.
- Demonstrated ability to adhere to safety culture.
- Strong communication skills with team/customers/stakeholders - both written and verbal. Takes initiative to provide insight and input on project-related topics. Shows an ability to identify and propose new research ideas in collaboration with others based on previous experiences.
- Demonstrates willingness and flexibility to multitask and adjust schedules to meet project deadlines. Demonstrates a high level of organization and planning, considering dealing with several projects at once is routine in the Catalyst Lab.
- Must be able to lift 40-50 lbs. comfortably
- Experience in separating and purifying metals from complex solutions.
- Synthesis of catalyst materials.
- Familiarity with computer controlled equipment, spreadsheets, and word processing.