Airswift has been tasked by one of our biggest clients to seek a Tax Accountant IV to join them on a 05-month contract in Houston, TX
Support the companies Tax System by complying with federal, state, and local tax laws, maintaining tax processes that maximize efficiency, and performing tax planning necessary to reduce the present value of the companies' tax payments. The primary focus is on the tax provision and FERC reporting but will also include other U.S. Income Tax compliance responsibilities.
- Prepare federal corporate and partnership tax returns
- Prepare foreign information tax returns
- Prepare separate and combined state income tax and franchise tax returns
- Work with tax depreciation system to calculate tax depreciation and other property-related tax adjustments.
- Participates in recognizing and implementing new processes and technology to streamline current processes.
- Participates in audit team activities to facilitate audits and minimize tax expenses.
- Assists the Income Tax Accounting Manager in reviewing activities associated with the consolidated income tax provision processes (ASC 740 and FIN 48), ensuring proper workflow and due dates are met.
- Assists in the preparation of internal budgets and forecasts.
- Assists tax research and planning in modeling transactions.
- Review of tax legislation, rules, and regulations, including identification of issues impacting the Company
- Oversees the preparation of the FIN 18 Forecast used for ASC-740 accrual computations.
- Assists the Income Tax Accounting Manager in the financial statement footnote disclosure process associated with the consolidated tax provision (interacting with Financial Reporting, PWC, and Corporate Tax in Calgary).
- Assists the Income Tax Accounting Manager in the preparation and/or review of individual company GAAP tax provisions, interfacing tax calculations with ORACLE, SAP, and OneSource, and Corptax Tax Provision software.
- Participates in the state effective tax rate computations used in the provisioning process, state tax true-ups, and federal tax true-ups, ensuring proper workflow and due dates are met.
- Prepares tax calculations needed for FERC compliance (including tax disclosure associated with FERC Form 2 and FERC Form 6, as well as, tax support in rate cases)
- Monitors statutory guidance associated with tax provisions (ASC 740, FIN 48, etc.)
- Responsible for training individuals new to the group on processes and systems.
- Quantify the impact of developments in tax legislation and communicate results appropriately
- Assist in other non-specific tax activities as needed
- This position requires an experienced U.S. tax person who is driven by solving problems and focuses on technical challenges requiring the development of new tax-efficient strategies for which there may be no precedents.
- Provides tax technical support to a complex U.S./Canadian sandwich structure that includes over 450 entities in 14 countries and assists in ensuring that income tax compliance deadlines are met.
- Has the flexibility to work globally across borders and time zones.
- This position requires strong communication skills; including strong researching, writing, and summarizing competencies and the ability to translate for non-tax personnel
Contacts (Working Relationships):
- Reports directly to Manager - U.S. Tax Compliance
- Interacts regularly with staff in other entities and within the U.S. accounting and regulatory departments.
- Interacts with external stakeholders including; PriceWaterhouseCoopers
- Provides technical support and mentorship to other Tax team members.
- University graduate of Business Administration or a related discipline.
- Certified Public Accountant designation and/or graduate degree preferred.
- At least 7 years of progressively responsible experience in income tax preferably in the energy industry.
- Knowledge of federal and state income taxes.
- Understanding of Tax Accounting.
- Strong Excel, Word, oral, and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Corptax, OneSource, tax research tools and PowerTax/BNA fixed asset software preferred
- Strong analytical skills.