Donaldsonville, Louisiana, United States of America
About Airswift and our client:
Airswift is a global workforce solutions firm, providing workforce solutions to our clients in the process, infrastructure, and energy sectors. This open position is for our client, who is a global leader in transforming natural gas into nitrogen to serve agricultural and industrial customers.
The Supervisor, Process Control Systems is responsible for ensuring that all control system maintenance and programming work are completed in line with relevant regulations, codes and standards, department practices, and management expectations for the Donaldsonville site. To accomplish this objective , the selected candidate will directly manage and develop a staff of 7 DCS Specialists and additional outside engineering resources when necessary. The successful Controls Supervisor will have a good overall understanding of plant control systems which shall include but not limited to DCS, PLC, SIS, and Burner Management Sytems. In addition, this position will have a thorough knowledge of the Network Topology, Cyber Security, Software and Training Requirements that is required to maintain and operate reliable control systems for the Donaldsonville site. This position will be able to communicate well with site stakeholders and manage the group in a manner to ensure stakeholder expectations are fulfilled or exceeded. This position will constantly strive to meet and continuously improve the safety, reliability, and capital efficiency of control systems within the Donaldsonville site.
- Assign responsibilities to DCS Specialists to provide support to Operations and Maintenance in tasks required to improve operating unit performance and/or reliability, troubleshoot problems, and support or prepare for plant outages.
- Develop departmental expertise in areas of responsibilities (control systems, safety instrumented systems, DCS Administration, and programmable logic controllers) and ensure that the group as a while remains well rounded and able to continuously support the site in each specified control platform.
- Maintain continuous communication with the Chief E&I Engineer, Maintenance, and Operations to prioritize resources to ensure that the highest priority operational issues and projects are being actively worked and completed in a timely manner.
- Ensure completion of Pre-startup Safety Reviews and MOCs related to control system changes are completed in a timely manner that supports continuous operation, action item closure, etc. with respect to DCS and SIS change management.
- Identify and define projects needed to improve the safe and reliable operation of site wide control systems and associated network topology.
- Manage control systems documentation as required for MOC and project implementation.
- Implement group specific document control policy to ensure control system documentation is available, accurate, and up to date at all times in support of maintenance and engineering activities.
- Work with client stakeholders and other of their client sites to define and maintain control system design and installation standards to ensure system reliability, operability, and cyber security.
- Oversee site wide management of DCS, PLC, and other control shutdown systems ensuring that the software and hardware are kept up to date, maintained, and meet all regulatory requirements.
- Ensure that all operating units have necessary support to troubleshoot control and safety systems on a 24 hour a day basis. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring that 24 hour turnaround support is provided when necessary.
- Ensure designs meet plant specifications, standards, requirements and design codes, and that the documentation produced and published accurately replicates the design intent.
- Contribute to the development and execution of the annual operating business plan, as well as provide support for corporate initiatives in areas of expertise.
- Develop and pursue the future vision of the site wide control system.
- Oversee and maintain the operating budget and cost control responsibility for the department.
- Work with operations, maintenance, and technical services to jointly develop and control budgets for measurement/control hardware and services.
- Lead and coordinate the following activities for the Process Control Group:
All safety performance compliance, audits and participation in various proactive safety processes.
Lead efforts to maintain reliability and optimize performance of DCS, SIS, and PLC systems throughout the Donaldsonville site.
Works with Maintenance, Engineering and third party contractors to ensure that preventative and corrective maintenance requirements are met on all controls systems.
Ensure that all software is kept up to date and that reliable backups for all control systems are maintained.
Troubleshooting and monitoring of controls and processes. Verify all control loops perform optimally and are in proper control mode.
- Participate in various improvement teams and other optimization efforts associated with safety, quality, efficiency, cost and organizational effectiveness improvement projects.
- Maintain required skills inventory and expertise within the department and ensure that training needs of direct reports are met.
- Lead the development and implementation of Alarm Management Standards based on the ISA 18.2 Standard.
Establishes and implements processes and procedures to meet departmental internal controls requirements. Ensure that established processes/procedures are followed as designed. Works with Internal Controls Department to identify deficiencies in existing processes/procedures, the need for new ones, and the extent to which such processes/procedures are being followed. Develops and implements corrective actions with regard to department internal controls as necessary.
Successful incumbents will have:
- Degree from an accredited training college with a focus in control system technology or an Engineering Degree, or equivalent from an ABET accredited university required. (Electrical or Chemical preferred)
- A minimum of ten years of control systems experience in the oil, gas, or chemical manufacturing industry required.
- A minimum of five years experience supervising control systems specialists, E&I technicians, or control systems engineers preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise and knowledge of DCS, SIS, and PLC systems required.
- Demonstrated experience with Yokogawa DCS systems preferred.
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) required. Must be able to effectively communicate and interact with personnel of all backgrounds and at all levels in the organization.
- Demonstrated experience with Advanced Process Controls preferred.
- Strong leadership skills required, including team building, decision making, and prioritizing personal and team responsibilities.
- Ability and desire to train and develop the control systems team.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office software.
- Must be able to acquire Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC).
- The ability to prove drug and alcohol free at random or for cause.
- Able to climb multiple flights of stairs and lift 25lbs.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by persons assigned to this job. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in this position.