Our client is seeking a Sr. Cost Controller to work within their facilities located in Calgary, AB for a 1-year assignment on a 5/40 work schedule (Monday to Friday, 8 hours a day).
- The Project Cost Controller reports to the Manager, Project Services within the Downstream / Midstream Capital Projects team.
- The incumbent is assigned to support large projects by overseeing the cost control duties with intent of setting projects up for success: setting Work Breakdown Structure, baselining costs at the time of sanction, tracking against plan, and proactively enabling teams to recover to plan through early identification of variance from plan.
- This role will be working with both third-party contractors (engineering companies, vendors, contractors) and internal clients and requires strong customer service and communication skills to align with the needs of the individual project managers and Major Projects leadership.
- Throughout the life cycle of the projects, the Sr. Cost Controller liaises with various stakeholders such as: members of Portfolio Reporting, Project Management, Engineering, Procurement, Finance, Construction and Commissioning Management Team, external EPC contractors and external construction contractors and therefore required to understand and communicate the full project scope of work.
- This position will also provide backup (vacation coverage) to the other cost controllers, as well as, to Portfolio Reporting.
- Cost Controller will support implementation of department initiatives intended to strive towards continuous improvement, standardization, improvement of integration across functions, gain efficiency, implement new technology, etc.
• Reoccurring monthly work effort includes: facilitation of monthly meeting for gathering incurred values, updating forecast, hosting and facilitating meetings with Finance for incurred review and for forecast review with PMT; review progress reports from contractors and engineering companies; input accruals calculation into SAP; update the forecast and basis in the Cost File (in Excel Cost File); enter incurred information into SAP; offer general support to other departments (tax, audit, etc.).
• In early stages of projects, review and align Work Breakdown Structure to Cost Breakdown Structure; create Project Controls - Cost Control Plan; and finalize Spend Profile based on Class IV Estimate for TIC.
• In FEED stage - Finalize Work Breakdown Structure ( WBS) and Cost Breakdown Structure (CBS) in alignment with coding standard; create master list for AFE/CBS structure and POs to each AFE leg and G/Ls for procurement use; perform quality spot checks for correct application of WBS; manage budget attestation during the monthly reporting cycle; prepare instructions for AFE Approval & AFE status check instructions for PMs; manage external/internal project change; review change requests.
• In Execution stage - Review Construction Progress Reports (CPR) from construction and ensure alignment with the budget; ensure appropriate metrics are applied on projects during this stage, monitor and control cost to flag issues; report on variance from plan, advise on recovery planning where required, and support to manage internal/external change requests;
MUST HAVE QUALIFICATIONS:
• Minimum of Five (5) years of Cost Control experience in the engineering, construction, project management of Oil & Gas related projects
• Superior working knowledge of SAP
• Thorough knowledge of Engineering, Supply Chain, Fabrication and Construction processes as part of project execution
• High attention to detail, accuracy and quality of information, and an ability to keep information organized
NICE TO HAVE QUALIFICATIONS:
• Bachelor's degree in engineering
• Professional Engineer or equivalent technologist designation (P. Eng., P.L (Eng.)
• Professional Management Professional (PMP)
• Member of Association for the Advancement of Cost Engineering (AACE)
• Thorough understanding of Oil & Gas Refining and related operations would be an advantage