Paper Machine Supervisor - Kalamazoo, MI
Airswift is working in partnership with a leading Fortune 500 manufacturer of paperboard and paper-based packaging, who producing over 800 tons of paper per day. The Mill has undergone major growth and investment in the last 2 years, having invested in 34 new jobs due to the start-up of a new clay coated boxboard paper machine.
Due to the needs on their new machine, they are looking to hire a Machine Supervisor, who will report directly to the Assistant Machine Superintendent. The Supervisor will focus on the winder, roll handling, coater and quality end of the machine; developing their 15 operator direct reports, and ensuring safety and risk is prioritized. There is also an opportunity for a Supervisor on their other machine to supervise the entire machine on shift.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Supervises and facilitates the day-to-day shift activities of team. Utilizes knowledge and experience, providing training to team members. Responsible for their individual performance. Oversees scheduling, material handling issues and maintenance, as well as resolving production problems. Helps team achieve goals and has responsibility for personnel issues, including required discipline.
- Works with employees to maintain a safe work environment. Encourages and leads team members to work in a safe manner and to seek improvement in work practices for their benefit. Develops and implements safety procedures and supports Health, Safety & Environmental Manager in achieving departmental and plant safety goals.
- Assures that the team maintains quality standards and uses SPC techniques for problem resolution through knowledge of product specifications and training of personnel.
- Ensures that product quality, production efficiencies, and overall productivity meet or exceeds established standards, and is directly accountable for expenditures exceeding budgeted levels.
- Strives to be technically proficient on the machinery in the department. Provides assistance to the team in problem resolution and assures that testing and product development is carried out in a professional manner.
- Responsible for compliance with all facility food safety, food defense, and quality policies and procedures including product safety (GMPs)/Sanitation policies and procedures. Employee must continually work to promote the orderliness and cleanliness of their work area in support of AIB/5’s and other company standards.
- Must be supportive of GPI’s Mission, Vision, and Core Values (Integrity, Respect, Accountability, Relationships, and Teamwork).
- Must be supportive and involved in GPI efforts for LEAN, 5’s, Six Sigma and other Continuous Improvement programs and processes.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Strives to clearly understand customer requirements and delivers results to meet or exceed customer expectations.
Experience & Background:
- Multi-ply fourdrinier paper machine experience
- Experience working in a high volume paper mill
- Either prior paper mill supervisory experience, or a process engineer with paper mill experience that is looking for a step up
- Competitive Base Salary
- BCBS Medical (PPO, HRA and HSA options) and Basic and Premium Dental & Vision Options
- Fit & Wellness Healthy Rewards Program
- Life, AD&D, Short Term and Long Term Disability (Basic and Additional coverage available)
- 401k 100% match up to 4%, 50% match for the next 3% (Immediately vested and company provide additional 3% each year)
- Voluntary financial benefit, legal assistance, accident insurance, pet insurance, auto & home insurance and identity theft protection programs
- Relocation support (Renter and Home Owner policies)
- Further education reimbursement
- Vacation depending on experience and service (Starting at 2 weeks
- Opportunity to work in world class engineering facility with ample opportunities for promotion and growth