Senior Legal Counsel Job Advert
My client is looking for a Senior Legal Counsel who will be responsible for providing legal assistance and support in accordance with applicable laws and the policies, rules and procedures established by the company itself.
Location: Mexico City
Type of employment: Permanent
Salary: Above industry standard plus company package
Timeframe: Can interview in the next few weeks
Recruitment partner: Airswift
Account manager: Riyad Mustafa
Key Words: Legal Counsel, Oil and Gas, Energy, Infrastructure
Work Pattern: Residential
My client is an integrated energy company with over 10,000 people in over 40 countries throughout the world. Our activities range from the development of new energy solutions to the more traditional exploration and production of hydrocarbons, and the refining and marketing of oil products and biofuels. Our work also ranges from the generation and marketing of electricity, to the production of renewable energy, as well as the development of chemicals and bio-based products and environmental initiatives.
We aim to contribute to the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) of the United Nations 2030 Agenda, supporting a just energy transition which responds to the challenge of climate change with tangible and economically sustainable solutions. We will do this by promoting efficient and sustainable access to energy resources, for all.
As a member of the Legal Team you will be responsible for:
- Provide support in connection with the following activities and agreements (governed by Mexican Law or foreign law, including without limitation UK and US Law):
- negotiation, drafting and interpretation of concessions, PSCs and other oil and gas arrangements, formation and management of joint ventures, joint operating agreements and farm-out/farm-in agreements, as well as bidding agreements negotiations in regard to contract bid rounds; broad mix of company and commercial work including sale and acquisition of assets, transportation/distribution and other hydrocarbon facilities and commercial agreements.
- Procurement and other service contracts and activities;
- Review and drafting of contractual correspondence and notices.
- Provide support and supervise litigations, disputes or similar actions exercised by or against the Company in liaison with outside law firms.
- Working with project teams to manage contractors and administer the contracts to avoid, mitigate or minimize cost over-runs and delays / disruptions to the project activities.
- Liaising and coordinating with HQ subject matter experts in areas such as compliance (ant bribery, antitrust, sanctions, intellectual property, sustainability, among others)
- Provide support in developing legal and commercial strategies, and assistant on legal risks associated with business operations, their potential impact and suggest risk-mitigating strategies.
- Liaise with a variety of external entities, including external law firms, partners, government and suppliers.
- Provide legal advice that may be necessary in connection with the businesses activities with an emphasis on maximizing commercial benefits and minimizing legal risk to the organization.
- Acting and participating in the actions, diligences and procedures, before all levels of governmental authorities and official entities, in order to obtain ministerial, environmental and municipal permits, applications and authorizations, as well as to provide support to different organizational units that require this documentation.
- Provide support to the offices in the US and the EU in connection with the preparation of corporate documents, such as Shareholders Meetings, Board Resolutions, Powers of Attorney and minutes.
- Act in compliance with and provide support to the implementation and execution of the provisions contained in the Code of Ethics, as well as any other internal policies, rules and procedures
This is the opportunity for you if you have these skills and requirements:
- Law Degree qualification with admission to the bar (e.g. Mexico, other Latin American Jurisdictions and/or the U.S./UK/EU as plus).
- Experience in a law firm and/or as in house within corporate organizations with experience in the Energy/Infrastructure sector.
- At least six (6) years of relevant experience as In-house Lawyer or in a Law Firm working on Energy/Infrastructure, JVs, Commercial, Corporate, M&A, Infrastructure and Project Finance related matters.
- Able to fully draft and negotiate agreements and other legal and corporate documents in English and Spanish.
- MS Office skills.
- Fluent in Spanish and English is required. Italian is a plus.
- International experience is desirable.
- Ability to manage multiple conflicting priorities.
- Team player with a strong sense of urgency.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Strong initiative and detail oriented
The next step
We have an exceptional team in place, and we are pleased to be able to appoint a further person to our growing business. We are aware that you may not ‘tick all the boxes’, but if you believe you can genuinely offer some valuable skills and experience to our business, please in the first instance contact our recruitment partner Airswift, and the account manager Riyad Mustafa