Airswift is seeking a Research Technologist to work on a 12-months renewable contract to work with a major Chemicals company in Calgary, AB. They'll be part of the Analytical Team and will provide a full range of analytical testing of polymer and raw materials to our clients in Manufacturing, R&D, and Technical Services and ultimately supports the development and commercialization of new polyethylene products.
This position requires an immediate focus on the support of analysis using Gel Permeation Chromatography (GPC), Temperature Rising Elution Fractionation (TREF) and FTIR and a variety of wet chemistry analytical tests. There will be opportunity to work in other laboratories of the Analytical team as required by business needs.
- Preparing and testing samples following established Laboratory Test Procedures (LTPs).
- Processing, analyzing data, generating analytical reports, and reporting results using a LIMS (Laboratory Information Management System).
- Working collaboratively with colleagues to develop new test methods when appropriate;
- Updating LTPs, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs), and other documentation as required in your role.
- Provide extensive client support on analytical tests and techniques to ensure proper understanding of data interpretation and selection of appropriate analytical protocols;
- Maintain and adhere to Responsible Care laboratory practices: FCMs, chemical handling, waste disposal, peer feedback, fume hood & oven checks, chemical inventory, cylinder handling, pressure equipment.
- Operate and maintain a TCB distillation unit.
- Training of laboratory staff on analytical test and preparation methods.
- Equipment stewardship including calibration, maintenance, and repair, troubleshooting, document reviews, and supplies management.
- Participating in the LIMS room sample retain management process
- As a member of the Analytical Team, you will also be responsible for becoming proficient and knowledgeable on a wide range of chemical analytical tests and techniques.
- The successful candidate will possess a Diploma in Chemical Laboratory Technology or B.Sc. in
- Chemistry, with related experience of 5-7 years (Diploma) or 3-5 years (B.Sc.) and a demonstrated track Record of academic achievements.
- The potential candidate must be able to collaborate and work well in a team environment.
- Hands-on experience as an Analytical Chemist in an industrial or service laboratory setting is considered an asset.