Reliability Engineer – Calgary, AB
Our client is seeking a Reliability Engineer to work within their site located in Calgary, AB, for a 6-month extendable assignment.
The Reliability Engineer is a member of the Risk, Reliability and Assurance team in the Technical Services Department and supports client’s strategies to operate pipeline assets in a safe, compliant and reliable manner, and to aggressively manage operating expenses. The Reliability Engineer provides technical support to the client’s Conventional and Oil Sands Pipeline Operations.
To fulfil the responsibilities listed below and to meet annually established objectives the Reliability Engineer works closely with Operations, Power Systems, Control Systems, Oil Movements, Pipeline Engineering and other members of the Transportation Business Unit and external stakeholders (energy retailers, industry committees, regulators, etc.) where required.
The Reliability Engineer reports to the Supervisor, Risk, Reliability and Assurance.
Superior EH&S and Compliance Performance
- Consistently perform responsibilities and duties to client’s Core Values and EH&S Policy, Values and Commitment statement.
- Ensure that work is completed in compliance with all applicable regulations and client’s standards.
- Create a work environment which rewards excellent EH&S and compliance results, and allows co-workers to learn from mistakes and share learning’s across the business.
- Assess and prioritize application of Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM) across new (projects) and existing pipeline business units and facilities.
- Provide a monthly scorecard that highlights the Reliability performance based on key leading/lagging performance indicators (availability, utilization etc) for the Transportation Business unit
- Identify required participants and RCM boundary scope and schedule, develop operating context of boundary, co-ordinate, facilitate and implement recommendations (through job plan request form with planning department) for RCM analyses.
- Maintain RCM template library to leverage information and optimize analyses efficiency.
- Perform equipment criticality analysis in accordance with the Reliability criticality ranking tool.
- Provide summary of RCM findings and progress at quarterly Operations Manager update meeting.
- Support Operations and Maintenance and the incident investigation process through facilitation of, or participation in, root cause failure analysis (RCFA) using a formal tool (taproot or equivalent).
- Lead the investigation of significant unscheduled downtime events.
- Develop and manage the implementation of corrective actions or preventative measures generated from failure analyses and apply systemically across the Transportation Business Unit’s operating pipeline systems as applicable.
- Develop technical reports to capture the failure history of, and any modifications to, the equipment and file within Maximo.
- Routinely evaluate the quality and best practices of installation, repair and maintenance of internal and external services with the goal of improving asset reliability.
- Manage the execution of PdM programs including: data collection compliance, analysis technical support, corrective work identification, asset upgrade opportunity identification, and tracking key performance indicators measuring program efficiency and effectiveness.
- Develop key strategical guidelines, procedures and work flow processes for the Reliability team, inclusive of a defect elimination program.
- Utilize control center reliability scorecard to develop a monthly report outlining pipeline availability and utilization, and investigate events allocated as IPL induced unscheduled downtime events.
- Utilize the metrics to identify trends, communicate issues and initiate investigations to implement corrective actions to address bad actor assets.
- Lead the optimization of asset PM and PdM practices through engineering analysis (RCM methodologies) and condition monitoring to promote a pro-active maintenance culture.
- Develop, manage and execute implementation plan for results / recommendations of RCM analysis and measure the effectiveness.
- Support Transportation reliability initiatives throughout the planning, implementation and sustaining stages.
- To participate in post maintenance activities / assessments to identify opportunities (downtime overruns, planning, materials, etc.).
- Recommend and maintain spares and safety stock for assets and ensure refurbished parts are returned to original specification in a timely fashion and stored / maintained appropriately until required.
- Assist field operations in broadening their knowledge and understanding of reliability principles to improve core competency, knowledge and experience.
- Co-ordinate reliability studies for projects to assist in scope development, as appropriate.
- Participate in design reviews, hazard analysis, operability and maintainability reviews as well as commissioning and start up planning activities.
- Participate in asset specification development and review, as pertinent to areas of expertise.
Budgeting and Cost Control
- Contribute to the annual budget for each pipeline system through identification and cost justification of potential reliability initiatives and / or spare parts, as appropriate.
- Develop and communicate an annual plan of major reliability initiatives (training topics, new corporate procedures, new technologies / tools to improve efficiency, etc.)
- Manage program costs through a transparent and highly accountable AFE reporting system.
- Ensure all spending is in accordance with established authorities.
The Reliability Engineer typically has between 5 and 10 years of industry experience. A degree in Mechanical Engineering and registration with APEGA are mandatory for this position.
- Experience in troubleshooting asset failures.
- Competence with predictive maintenance practices and technologies (Vibration, Oil Analysis, Transformer Liquid Analysis, PdMA, IR, etc.) is considered an asset.
- Proven ability to develop, manage, implement, track and measure corrective actions.
- Strong organization, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Previous experience in reliability and / or the energy transportation industry is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with RCM principles (formal training) is considered an asset.
- Familiarity with Maximo is considered an asset.
- CMRP designation is considered an asset.