Project Mine Geologist
Delta Junction, Alaska
Rotational Schedule (15 Days On, 13 Days Off)
$90K - $105K + Benefits & Bonus Opportunities
The Project Mine Geologist reports to the Senior Development Geologist, and the primary role is to identify and delineate in-mine mineral resources and perform the underground geological activities required to facilitate the safe, efficient and cost-effective extraction and growth of the mineral reserve within the Gold Mine area to meet or exceed Company’s performance requirements within the Geology Department and assist the Drilling Geologist(s) with the day to day management of the drilling contractors to maximize diamond drilling efficiency.
Specific Departmental Requirements
- Drive ounce addition through identification and evaluation of in mine targets from analysis of historical data, mapping reviews, drilling results and observations in current development.
- Create preliminary assessment models from opportunities and targets identified. Evaluate and plan any additional work required.
- Monitor progress and ensure these are driven through to completion within a timeframe that compliments the mine plan and maximises ounces and profits produced by the operation.
- Ensure effective communication of opportunity and exploration targets with relevant stakeholders at all stages to optimise efficiencies with Resource Geology and Mine Planning with regards to resource modelling, planning evaluation and production scheduling.
- Ensure short term drill targeting is in line with the 3 month mining plan.
- Ensure that medium and long term drill planning aligns with the long term mining plan as well as ensuring sufficient drilling of the ore body in order to achieve resource/reserve targets set by geology manager.
- Provide geological and drill scheduling input into the weekly mine planning meeting.
- Review drilling intercepts as assays are returned and on a weekly basis present the results to the wider technical service work group.
- Undertake completion reports once a drill program is finished and provide recommendations for further work as required to ensure all potential economic structures have been adequately tested.
- Import then validate downhole and collar surveys.
- Log diamond drill core as required by geology manager.
- Delegate from the Senior Development Geologist as required.
- Drive ongoing geological improvement by analysing existing processes and implementing enhancements.
- Maximise efficiency and drive cost reductions through a process of ongoing innovation, challenging current practices, cost effective drill planning and active monitoring of current development.
- Undertake and prepare special reports for any geological special events to ensure alignment with overall organisational objectives as requested.
- Periodically specific tasks will be allocated by the Geology Manager or the Senior Development Geologist, but it is up to the incumbent to devise a plan, carry out the task and deliver the results.
- Dependent upon area of responsibility, tasks will be assigned by the Superintendent Mine Geology/Alternate or Senior Geologists. These will relate to:
- Report writing.
- Core logging.
- Project work as assigned.
- Degree majoring in Geology or an equivalent field.
- Current drivers license.
- Pass a background check and post offer physical.
Desired Experience & Competencies
- A minimum of 2-4 years geological experience, the majority of which must be in gold.
- Experience in the use of Geological Software (Vulcan, Leapfrog or similar software).
- Extensive underground experience, minimum 2-4 years.
- Proven competency in all aspects of underground geology. Orebody & geology modelling, mapping, face sampling etc.
- Familiarity with QA/QC processes.
- Demonstrated ability to set achievable goals, effectively delegate and mentor is critical.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- A demonstrated ability to work within a team and maintain strong stakeholder relationships.
- Demonstrate ability to maintain or exceed best industry practice in all geological and environmental tasks.
- Flexibility to adapt to improved procedures and practices.
- First Aid certificate