Location - Western Australia, FIFO
Duration - 1 Year Contract
Assisting the Supervising Geologist with the execution of exploration plans, competition of drilling programmes and field mapping activities.
Health, Safety and Environment
- Ensure all work is undertaken in a safe and efficient manner.
- Ensure a strong focus on safety is maintained through active participation in toolbox meetings, maintaining Safe Work Procedures (SWP’s) and Take 5's on a day-to-day basis.
- Actively participate in safety meetings on a regular basis, document and action any issues.
- Ensure all environmental and safety incidents are reported, and where required investigated.
- Assist with reviewing and updating written procedures.
Exploration Work Programmes
- Undertake field programmes as directed by the Senior Geologist.
- Implement approved exploration programmes, inclusive of reconnaissance, resource definition drilling to ensure targets for technical integrity, budget and schedule are met or exceeded.
- Undertake RC and diamond drilling programmes as required, inclusive of drilling contractor supervision.
- Accurate recording of all data and collection of samples.
- Undertake field mapping as directed, including the production of final plans and reports.
- As required, prepare detailed plans for specific programmes including drilling, surveying, land clearance, and other resource requirements.
- Assit with organising and co-ordinating heritage surveys.
- Evaluate data and make recommendations on exploration programmes.
- Pegging drill holes and supervision of earthworks in preparation for drill programme.
- Drill hole rehabilitation.
- Assist with any metallurgical product test work as required.
- Prepare technical reports.
- Review and report on results including the preparation of plans and maps.
- Ensure that field programmes are correctly planned and implemented through consultation with the Senior Geologists.
- Provide advice to the Senior Geologists on exploration targets.
- Communicate and coordinate with other exploration team members on a weekly, and where necessary daily basis, to plan work, report progress, resolve any issues of concern, and manage variations or additional work required.
- Supervise, as required, geophysical, geochemical, heritage and land clearing surveys.
- Ensure department positions are clearly defined and aligned.
- Lead, develop, motivate and encourage direct reports, peers and business personnel to successfully achieve individual, departmental and company objectives and ability to be Person in Charge under the Mines Safety Inspection Act.
- Ensure the capability and effectiveness of the team to meet short and long term business requirements.
- Ensure each team member is clearly aware of their role expectations and accountabilities
- Support and mentor team members to manage priorities, workloads, planning, expectations and performance
- Encourage personal and professional development opportunities to meet identified skill gaps
- Conduct annual performance reviews, ensuring fairness and equality for all
- Demonstrate leadership in Safety and Environment, and ensure all stakeholders value and uphold a commitment to Safety and Environment at all times
- Bachelor’s degree in Geoscience or other related discipline combined a minimum of 5 years’ postgraduate experience.
- Experience in an exploration or mining geology role, preferably in an iron ore resource in addition to proven ability to work in remote locations on site
- Proven experience with coordinating exploration activities and managing contractors with strong organisational and time management skills
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiating skills and ability to engage with key stakeholders
- 'C' Class drivers licence (or equivalent)
- Completion of 4WD certificate
- Excellent technical ability with proven experience
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills enabling the communication of complex technical concepts to key stakeholders, peers and other audiences
- Sound negotiation and external/internal stakeholder management skills
- Ability to facilitate buy-in coupled with strong problem solving and prioritising abilities
- Demonstrated background in creating and sustaining a positive safety culture
- Proven capability in implementing value improvement practices and processes to deliver fit for purpose and value capital outcomes