Airswift has been tasked by one of our major clients to search for a Project Development Engineer to work on a project in Fort Saskatchewan, AB, for a 12-months contract.
Reporting to the Process Automation Controls & Optimization (PACO) Project Development Lead, the Project Development Engineer is responsible for delivering the front-end planning, development, and engineering of a portfolio of strategic PACO projects in support of the site business plan and long-term strategic objectives.
- Develop high-level scoping definition at a conceptual level for PACO projects.
- Develop technical definition documents (Project Premises Document, Basis for Design, Risk Register, Material Take-off Lists, etc.) and cost estimates at a Decision Gate 2 or 3 levels (up to +/- 30% accuracy).
- Provide technical guidance and review for MOCs and Capital projects.
- Drive the effective preparation of high-quality project deliverables for IDENTIFY/ASSESS and SELECT project phases for a select suite of PACO-themed projects.
- Ensures the deliverables are fit-for-purpose and are aligned with the Opportunity Realisation process, enabling quality decision making at Project Decision Gates.
- Coordinate the involvement of other engineering disciplines as required and ensure project justification and business case development is robust and aligned with site objectives.
- Ensure REVEX funds are managed and spent according to approved budgets and support the tracking and reporting of monthly and yearly spend forecasts.
- Collaborate with Scotford Projects Leaders to ensure a smooth, effective transition of projects into the DEFINE and EXECUTE phases.
- Coordinate and lead the team in preparing and presenting projects at DG1/2/3, enabling robust decisions to be made regarding project progression to the next phase.
- Eligible for Professional status from APEGA as a P.Eng. or P.L.(Eng).
- Engineering degree in Chemical, Electrical, Process Control or similar.
- Knowledge in PC01 and MI01 (Process Control & Instrumentation).
- Knowledge in IPF/SIF (PAS02) and DCS / PLC including SIS systems (PAS01).
- Skilled in any 2+ PACO sub-disciplines, including above (some deep skills in PACO).
- 4+ years relevant petrochemical industrial experience (or equivalent) covering significant aspects of design and engineering in the PACO discipline; preferably in a refinery/upgrader or large industrial facility.
- Knowledge of Opportunity Management Competencies: o 6. Integrate all relevant technical and non-technical workstreams o 10. Manage Project Risks in the Front End o 16. Deliver Integrated Engineering in the Front End
- Knowledge of the project development work processes including the stage-gated opportunity realization process.
- Ability to work effectively within a multi-discipline team environment consisting of Engineering, Projects, Maintenance, and Operations in order to manage the development of projects to mitigate long-term threats and realize long-term opportunities.