Project Development Engineer
Looking for a motivated Process Engineer to work as a Project Development engineer to lead the front-end development of opportunities. The Project Development Engineer's primary responsibility is the front-end capital project development for medium to long term improvement, threat mitigation, and growth opportunities. You will develop opportunities from concept identification to handoff to the Project Engineering teams for execution. Excellent communication with site, global discipline teams and other stakeholders are of key importance. This role is a great opportunity for those looking to develop their skills in front end opportunity management, stakeholder engagement, problem solving and exposure to executing projects within the Project Management Framework.
• lead the Assess and Select (FEL1/FEL2) phases of projects
• interface with Production, Business, and Technical departments to frame and develop the front-end engineering scope for the opportunity
• provide process engineering input on how the scope of change impacts the operation of the facility to ensure the design achieves the project premise
• interface with disciplines and at times, P&T to complete assurance review(s)
• interface with Engineering Procurement Construction (EPC) firms to coordinate engineering activities for technical development of the project
• develop the relevant project deliverables for Assess/Select e.g. Project Premise Document, Feasibility Report, Basis for Design, etc. and to continue supporting the project engineer after handover into Define.
• perform detailed fact-based analysis of assigned problem to provide clear definition of opportunities, threats, findings, and solutions
• work with Production, Business, and Technical departments to frame and develop front-end engineering scopes, as well as, ensure incorporation of their input into the scope development, study reports, project value processes, assurance and decision reviews
Project Development is a centralized department that supports the whole facility and is therefore removed from the day to day operating activities. Working in Project Development has the added benefit of at times working across all three lines of business.
Skills and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor's degree in Chemical Engineering, or other relevant field of engineering, with 10+ years of experience.
• At least 3+ years’ experience in an operations support role (contact engineer, operations engineer, facilities engineer etc.) in a refining, upgrading, chemicals or gas processing facility environment.
• Registered professional engineer in Alberta with APEGA, or the ability to register as a P.Eng with APEGA.
• Experience in Opportunity Realization within the company is an asset, particularly experience in Assess/Select. Front end project development experience outside of the company is also an asset e.g. FEL1/FEL2 – options assessment, concept engineering, feasibility studies, basic engineering, etc.
• A strong technical background with process knowledge of upgrading, refining, or chemical plant operations is desirable.
• Excellent collaboration and stakeholder management skills are critical to role due to multitude of stakeholders on even the smallest of projects.
• Ability to diagnose and present complex topics in a simple, understandable way
• Ability to model proactive and effective problem solving/decision making skills
• Demonstrated facilitation skills
• Productive advocacy and inquiry under substantial opposition
• Experience with economic evaluations
• Safeguarding/HAZOP/Process Safety Review/Hazard and Effects Management Process exposure is an asset
• Process modeling experience is beneficial – Pro II and HYSYS/Unisim
• Ability to manage multiple concurrent projects is important
• Experience in managing small projects/MOCs of a multidisciplinary nature