PRINCIPAL SAFETY ENGINEER
Location: Hybrid working (WFH balanced with attendance at any of the London, Manchester or Stockton offices)
Contract duration: initial 12 month assignment, potential to extend
Contract type: inside IR35 – PAYE contract
Start Date: ASAP
Project: Battery Giga-factory, Sweden
Recruitment Partner: Airswift
Account Manager: Ryan Kirkpatrick
As a leading global provider of engineering, procurement and construction management expertise to the energy, chemicals, and resources sectors we are proud to be in a position to expand our UK team and have partnered with Airswift to support our recruitment plans in 2022.
We are currently recruiting for a number of Principal Safety Engineer(s) for a billion-dollar, international, large chemicals processing facility project being delivered from our London / Manchester / Stockton office(s). The project will contribute towards European energy transition targets through the delivery of sustainable battery materials for transportation. You will provide process engineering services, including technical support and supervision within the process engineering team.
The successful individual(s) will be engaged on a PAYE contract basis for an initial 12 month period, with the likelihood of further renewals to follow (expected 2+ years of work on the project).
Responsible for ensuring that the Health, Safety and Environmental (HSE) aspects of the design within the project scope are maintained to the relevant acceptable standards and comply with applicable legislation. In addition, execute and monitor Safety Engineering activities which typically will entail:
- Provision of technical assurance across the technical safety and loss prevention activities and deliverables on this project as detailed in this job description.
- Leading and coordinating the activities and deliverables allocated to the location in accordance with the project schedule.
- Gathering & compiling process safety and environmental information. ?
- Preparation of a Safety Engineering Plan and Basis of Design ?
- Execution of Hazard Studies ?
- Undertaking Technical Safety Reviews such as Human factors, Hazardous Area Classification, Inherent Safety, Alarm Prioritisation, etc. ?
- Recommend where any additional Technical Safety reviews are necessary because of scope change, design development, etc.
- Check that all required Technical Safety Reviews are completed. ?
- At the end of each project phase, ensure that all lists, files reports, etc. are filed correctly, ready for input to the next project phase. ?
- To act as the Technical Safety SME on the project work package, supporting the Lead Safety Engineer, project management and engineering disciplines with design HSE concerns and queries. ?
- To support other offices with requests for Technical Safety assistance on an Ad-Hoc basis. ?
- To support Client requests for discrete Technical Safety activities, e.g., Hazop Chair.
In summary, the Principal Safety Engineer, as part of the UK Safety Engineering discipline, ensures that the design is in accordance with the applicable standards and legislation.
Qualifications & Experience
- Chemical Engineering Degree or equivalent
- Extensive experience in technical safety is essential (10 years +)
- Experience working in a similar role
- Experience in petrochemicals, refining, oil and gas desirable.
- FEED and PMC experience is desirable
- Experience in performing consequence modelling using proprietary software i.e. PHAST.
- Experience in working on chemical plant design projects
- HAZOP/HAZID Chair/Scribing Experience
- QRA Experience