Airswift has been tasked by one of our major Engineering clients to seek a Mechanic to work in their facilities located in Hoboken, New Jersey on a 3-months contract likely to become permanent.
The Mechanic performs a variety of tasks in the preventive and corrective maintenance at wastewater treatment plants and related facilities equipment on an assigned shift.
Day to day responsibilities:
• Performs and assists in the performance of preventive and corrective maintenance on buildings, structures, grounds, machinery and equipment
• Lubricates equipment and checks for malfunctions; replaces packing in pumps or valves; replaces bearings in motors, pumps, and other equipment; tunes engines, sets valve clearance, cleans, and adjusts regulators
• Align moving equipment
• Removes and installs new or existing equipment or machinery
• Operates hoists, lifts and machinery
• Chips and paints
• Operates emergency power generation equipment
• Performs plumbing and pipefitting tasks as required
• Assists in keeping maintenance records
• Maintains and operates computer maintenance management system as required
• Communicates effectively at all levels regarding recommended maintenance and repair procedures
• Follows written and oral instructions
• Performs other duties as required
• Performs Activity Hazard Analysis
• Required to be on call
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements
- The work area can involve a working environment indoors as well as outdoors, which could cause exposure to outdoor elements; proper environmental attire will be required.
- Some areas can have loud noise, active machinery, high pressure fluid systems, electrical equipment, confined spaces, heights and depths, fumes, air borne particles, noxious gases, pathogens and various chemicals.
- The use of appropriate safety equipment will be mandatory in these areas to prevent hazardous contact.
- Must be able to sit, stand, stoop, twist and bend at the waist, turn, kneel, squat, raise arms above shoulder height, grasp, reach, perform repetitive hand movements and fine coordination to work on equipment, have vision sufficient to perform maintenance on equipment;
- have hearing in the normal range with or without correction. In an 8-hour shift must be able to transport self across the facility, ascend and descend stair steps, lift objects up to 50 pounds from floor level to waist height, climb and work off of a ladder or scaffold and climb into and out of vehicles having high ground clearance;
- use arms and back to tighten and loosen nuts and bolts;
- carry a 50 pound tool box up a flight of stairs; work in confined spaces and wear and use appropriate safety equipment.
Previous education & experience required:
- High school diploma or GED
- Possess a valid drivers license
- Ability to enter data into a Computer Maintenance Management System
- Some trade school education with an emphasis on electrical and mechanical equipment and metal fabrication
- Knowledge of the methods, materials, equipment, and tools used in the construction, repair, and operation of engines, pumps, and other mechanical equipment related to water/wastewater treatment plant operations and procedures
- Knowledge of combustion engines and electric motors and safety principles and practices
Should you be interested in this exciting opportunity with a major Engineering company please apply to this advert with your up-to-date resume. Please note that there is no per diem or relocation provided.