- Ensure the availability of the control and instrumentation systems for the uninterrupted running of a section of the plant. Ensure the preventive maintenance schedules completed in time frame.
- Execute and manage control and instrumentation activities of expansion projects in their section within budgeted cost and time lines. Execute and manage improvement schemes to upgrade quality and process parameters within the budgeted cost and time frame.
- Optimisation of the maintenance cost of control and instrumentation by proper monitoring and analysis of maintenance cost.
- Supervise instrument engineers in the execution of their duties to ensure adherence to established standards and procedures.
- Provide input for preparation of division/department capital and operating budgets and monitor annual expenditure budgets.
- Manage instrumentation maintenance within budget and schedule.
- Forecast requirements for instrument engineering resources and allocate those resources as required.
- Identify instrument software and new technology developments which could be applicable in providing more cost effective facilities and enable the instrumentation unit to function effectively and make recommendations to the Head, Instrumentation Maintenance as necessary.
- Evaluate new technology advancements against existing design standards and revise where applicable.
- Promote cost reduction and productivity enhancing initiatives.
- Technical supervision of designated instrument engineers and technicians in the execution of their duty.
- Ensure each shift meets documentation, reporting, and, follow up requirements as specified in the H&S program.
- Prepare weekly instrumentation progress and expenditure reports on a project specific basis.
- Responsible for engineering team’s personal safety and safe working practices for the unit. Understand, promote and follow OH&S procedures.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Head, Instrumentation Maintenance.