Airswift is seeking a Laboratory Technician to work on a 1-year assignment in Lloydminster, AB on a major Refinery.
This position is covering an upcoming maternity leave, the target start date for this position will be April 5th, 2021 and the candidate will be required to work in the office.
- Field meter proving for online densitometers.
- The Tech drives to locations in the field utilizing the mobile lab and takes samples of the oil in the line and performs densities with the Anton Paar in the field truck. The online meters may require adjustments, so the field meter coincides with the lab meter in the truck. This will be the majority of the work, roughly 70-80% of their time.
- Field BS&W meter calibrations.
- Same as above but with reduced frequency, roughly 5% of their time.
- Monthly sampling for Refinery Culverts, Gas sampling in the Refinery, field UST sampling, Passive monitor sampling (Lab Techs will be given the pucks).
- Month-end and Mid-month LACT mixing, at the end of every month composite bottles arrive from the field from local batteries and facilities and the Tech is to mix the crudes in the bottles utilizing a closed loop mixing system and take samples for further analysis in the lab.
- This always occurs in the last three working days of the month.
- Coordinate sample pickups from the field at various locations and facilities
- Assist in the lab when field work is light
- Follow all safety protocols set by the company
- Follow all methods, procedures and comply to ISO-17025 guidelines set by the ASL
- A Diploma (2-year program) in Chemical Technology
- Certification as a "Registered" or "Certified" Engineering Technologist recognized by the Alberta Society of Engineering Technologists (ASET) or eligibility for certification
- 1 year of work experience in the petroleum industry, preferably in a laboratory setting
- Familiarity with ISO-17025 guidelines
- Working knowledge of environmental field sampling, testing and related protocols
- Knowledge of wet chemistry, petroleum and water laboratory analysis techniques would be an asset
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Good computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access), experience in LIMS would be an asset
- Valid Class 5 driver's license