This role is required to work within FGP Power and Control, KTL Switchgear Upgrade project Construction Team.
The Senior Construction Engineer reports to the Project Manager (until a full time Construction Manager is assigned to the project) and is responsible for providing construction leadership and technical advice within a multidisciplinary, multinational team. Work will be with cross-functional base business teams in Phases 3 and 4.
Initially, the base work location will be Atyrau (or Engineering Contractors office location) during FEED and then mobilized to Tengiz for execution. However, upon mutual agreement between the Senior Construction Engineer, Construction Manager and Project Manager, work location may be modified to (1) elsewhere in Kazakhstan, (2) offices outside Kazakhstan, or (3) rotation work in Tengiz.
- Provide proactive safety leadership during design and execution. Ensure high levels of contractor performance on all construction related activities.
- Lead timely work scope definition, planning, estimating, efficient field execution, and mechanical completion of constructed activities in proper sequence.
- Coordinate seamless communication between the TCO management, KSU project team, engineering and construction contractors.
- Oversee and direct all KSU Tengiz activity, using functional leads to provide work direction to less experienced staff.
Engineering and Procurement Phase
- Manage development & implementation of the overall construction execution plan.
- Ensure an overall construction work scope is clearly defined and finalized.
- Review and provide input to contractors’ construction planning, subcontract selection, construction logistics, quality control, schedule, and progress measurement; and make recommendations to improve safety, schedule, productivity and cost.
- Provide “Constructability” input to the engineering design during FEED and Detailed Engineering.
- Participate in design reviews throughout FEED and Detailed Engineering phases to ensure effective and predictable construction execution will be achieved in Phase 4
- Engage where necessary with other Construction SME’s to ensure high quality decision making on all aspects that impact constructability of the facilities.
- Provide “Process Safety” input for Inherently Safe Design of Facilities.
- Participate in all Process Safety meetings; and fully support Process Safety.
- Provide input to staffing the construction team with essential personnel; and resources to ensure effective management of field construction.
- Develop and maintain clear lines of communication, among all construction staff.
- Facilitate development of measurable construction goals and communication of them to all construction participants.
- Develop organization and systems to monitor and ensure expected construction performance (safety, progress, and quality control); lead and prospectively develop recovery programs in case performance falls below expectations.
- Provide support to the Construction Manager for implementation of a sound subcontracting process and selection of construction subcontractors.
- Ensure development of safe and efficient rigging / heavy lift plans.
- Develop and implement strategies to maximize craft productivity.
- Provide direction to direct reports and site team, with focus on supporting the development of Kazakhstani nationals.
- Ensure safety remains the top priority of all participants, during Phases 3 & 4.
- Lead IIF for Tengiz-based Team. Ensure operability considerations are included in all designs. Apply appropriate Value Improvement Practices (VIPs). Ensure site activities support TCO Environmental Stewardship intents.
- Maximize performance of Tengiz-based Team, as it relates to safety, logistics, and field execution.
- Oversee contractor’s project HES policies / procedures; and, implementation at the project work site.
- Resolve safety issues; participate in Serious Incident Investigations; follow-up on recommendations; and randomly participate in Safety Tool Box Meetings.
- Develop strategies/incentives to foster a safe construction site.
- Keep Process Safety awareness at site active, addresses any Process Safety related queries or topics.
- Interface with the Project Manager and Construction Manager, regarding resolution of contract, schedule, quality, and safety concerns.
- Oversee all Contractors' construction-related activities, assuring successful completion of work in accordance with project schedule, specifications, and governing codes.
- Ensure all quality control related issues and engineering questions are identified, addressed, and resolved.
- Ensure all project materials are appropriately preserved and all transfers and records are effectively managed
- Interface with procurement staff to ensure timely delivery of equipment and materials to support efficient field execution activities.
- Review all contractors’ construction plans for critical lifts; and expedite timely approval of same.
- Review and provide input to the contractor’s schedule for task duration and timely movement of personnel, equipment, and material.
- Provide required information to Project Controls to develop reports, necessary to track all aspects of Construction effort (e.g., safety, budget, progress, schedule, and quality control).
- Ensure early resolution of any conflicts, between field contractors.
- Implement all the Mechanical Completion protocol, prior to transfer of facilities to Operations.
- Manage site HES team.
- Work with Industrial Relations advisors to ensure all IR requirements and adhered to at all times.
- Support the Construction Manager in undertaking thorough evaluations of all construction contractors and support services providers.
- Assure all project closeout reports are completed.
- Work with the Construction Manager to develop plans to implement recommendations for improving performance of future project.
- Assure transfer of all project construction and pre-commissioning documents to TCO archives.
- Assure redline drawings are forwarded to engineering for final drafting of as-built drawings.
- Assist Commissioning and Start-up Team, during pre-commissioning, commissioning, and Start-up.
- Assist in Project Handover / Transfer of facilities to Operations.
Job Specification and requirements:
Higher degree education
Not less than 12 years of relevant work experience
Business level of English language (spoken and written)
Tengiz experience is strongly desirable.
Demonstrates ability to lead, direct, plan, and schedule significant resources, deploy cost management initiatives; work independently and proactively; identify and mitigate risks; and deliver complex facilities within budget, on schedule, and meeting functional requirements. Demonstrates essential capital project behaviors and strategies.
Major Capital Project Experience:
Demonstrates brownfield experience with formal major capital project (MCP) management systems; experience with Chevron Project Management System (CPMS) principles and associated processes, practices or tools; broad knowledge of industry and has large (>$300 million) complex oil and gas facilities construction experience, with a background that must include FEED related construction activities as well as Phase 4 execution experience of modular construction, fabrication, logistics, SIMOPS, brownfield mechanical and piping modifications, and hookup and commissioning (HUC) disciplines, as well as other disciplines that may have been managed; Secondary familiarity with QA/QC, Electrical cutovers, Asset Integrity, Operations, and Process Engineering Support would be deemed to be a plus.
Demonstrates leadership using the Incident & Injury-Free (IIF) framework, Operational Excellence (OE) and Risk Management System, placing strong emphasis on development of local contractor workforce regarding Health, Environment, and Safety (HES) performance. Experience building an IIF (care and concern) culture on projects.
Demonstrates skills to bring multi-discipline teams together and able to interface with multiple stakeholders; strong interpersonal, written and verbal communication; effective listening skills linked with feedback capabilities; experienced with Partner relations.