Airswift has been tasked by one of our major Oil & Gas clients to seek an Instrumentation and Controls Engineer to work in Houston, TX for a 12-month contract position.
The Instrument and Control Engineer position will be focused on supporting control system hardware, software, and field instrumentation systems for offshore topsides and hull systems. This position will be focused on meeting the requirements of the Company’s Process Control and Automation Engineering Standards and will be responsible for the technical assurance, processes, systems, and implementation plans to manage both the technical and process integrity of the assets.
· Conceptual and front-end designs for modifications and projects.
· Coordinate engineering contractors for design and equipment specification.
· Coordinate activities of onshore and offshore main automation and instrumentation contractors to ensure the systems are of high quality and workpacks are executed in a safe manner with reasonable cost and minimal impact on production.
· Provide technical assistance for start-up of facility additions and ensure key documents (drawings, procedures, process functional descriptions, cause and effects, etc.) are developed and maintained in an as-built status.
· Provide technical guidance on the application of codes and standards with respect to instrumentation, Fire and gas, and Control System engineering.
· Assist with tracking, projects, and closure of any action items from the assets.
· Work closely with the Subject Matter Experts and Instrument and Control System Technical Authority.
· Lead and/or provide technical input into root cause failure analyses (RCFA), analysis of inspection results, and implementation of solutions - including small projects as necessary.
· Provide technical assistance to Operations to help resolve any facility problems, as related to instrumentation, controls, safety system, fire and gas, digital security, telecommunications and measurement.
· Coordinate estimates, justification, and authorization for expense (AFE) preparation to obtain funding for facility modifications as related to the Instruments and Control (I&C) systems or portion of other projects.
· Conduct appropriate reviews (Best in Class sharing, HAZOP, Pre Start-up Safety) to enhance safety, constructability and operability in the design of facility modifications.
· Ensure pragmatic solutions are implemented for management of risk, production efficiency improvement, maintenance, defect elimination, related to instrumented protective systems, process controls and alarms, and in support of safe, reliable and compliant operations.
· Provides I&C expertise to other teams by performing and reviewing complex, or non-routine I&C calculations and analysis. (Comment: Relevant teams include Site projects, Maintenance & Execution).
· Provides I&C expertise to MoCs and to Site projects. (Comment: Relevant support activities involve regulatory compliance, deviations from technical practice/specifications, design reviews, procurement support for complex packages, life cycle operability, Category Management and SQM activities).
· Provides I&C expertise to hazard identification and risk assessment processes. (Comment: Relevant hazard identification and risk assessment processes include MoCs, HAZOPs, LOPAs, HAZIDs, Human Factors Analysis, What-Ifs, Vulnerability studies, Bow-ties and Risk Action Plans).
· Provides I&C expertise in performing safety incident investigations (IRIS) and production deferral investigations (OPTIMA).
· Provides I&C expertise to ensure that cyber security risk controls are in place on all regional automation systems and that associated barriers are proactively managed.
· Responsible for monitoring performance of instrumentation in region. Identifies gaps, develops and implements corrective plans.
· Ensures that the inspection, testing, maintenance and condition monitoring tasks in CMMS are aligned with the technical intent of Equipment Strategies. (Comment: Special attention should be given towards achieving and maintaining the necessary performance and accuracy of hydrocarbon measurement/metering equipment).
· Develops and updates the technical content of Equipment Strategies based on equipment performance feedback and performs periodic review of CMMS. (Comment: Relevant equipment performance feedback includes inspection, testing and maintenance data, KPIs, condition monitoring data, equipment MoC and findings from defect investigations).
· Performs reliability analysis for instrument and control equipment using surveillance, maintenance and condition monitoring data, and trends performance metrics.
· Provides I&C expertise to delivery of regional actions. Leads on resolution of complex, multi-discipline technical issues where the dominant component is instrumentation and control equipment. (Comment: Relevant sources of actions include HAZOP/LOPA, HVLs, Learning Alerts/Bulletins, Audit findings, IRIS/Traction, RAP, F4S, MoC, OPTIMA and engineering studies).
· Records relevant learnings in shared learning systems, incorporates into local activities and escalates high priority lessons.
· Must have a minimum of 10 years industry experience. Upstream oil/gas, refining and/or petrochemical experience is desired. Offshore oil and gas deepwater experience is a plus.
· Candidate should have extensive experience with instrumentation and controls in process industry, especially design, installation and calibration of pressure sensing, fire and gas, level sensing and valve actuation.
· Candidate must be able to read, review, redline and create P&IDs, loop diagrams, datasheets, cause and effect drawings, electrical schematics and wiring diagrams.
· Candidate must have ladder logic and functional block programming experience.
· Experience in Management of Change principles and processes to successfully deliver improvements and modifications.
· Experience in root cause failure assessments for instrumentation equipment.
· Knowledge of functional safety is a plus (Hazop/LOPA, SIL verification, SRS).
- Technical knowledge of electrical equipment and Systems in Hazardous Areas.