Our client, a major company within the Oil and Gas Industry, is looking for an HSE Advisor/ Laboratory Specialist to provide Laboratory support in Houston, TX. This will be an initial 12-months contract.
- Validates design of labs
- Decommission existing lab facilities/equipment/chemicals
- Plans transitions to lab operational status
- Provides the OE/HSE resource to the project team to validate that Laboratory Design Standards are incorporated, and emphasis is on inherently design safer labs that manage/mitigate the process safety, social, environmental, and OH/IH risks. (HVACC, gas detection, pressure vessels devices, traps and pits, metallurgy, scrubber and hood designs, control areas and chemical storage).
- Understands and applies TCEQ/EPA, local ordinances and regulatory requirements for the facility to operate as a large quantity waste generator and is able to hold sufficient chemicals/flammable materials needed to minimize business disruptions.
- Review and validate the certification of the new facility and commissioning of equipment.
- Collaborate with other teams to plan and schedule Lab OE/HSE activity to support the overall move schedule business continuity needs
- Appropriately plan and support the execution of MOCs for new lab equipment ordered, devices to be built, decommissioned and/or donated or deemed waste.
- Works closely with Upstream Lab HSE team to ensure that hazardous waste shipments are coordinated overtime to remain within regulatory small quantity generator limits.
- Ensures HSE processes are in place and followed for LOTO, de-pressurization, de-gassing, onsite creating of large specialized equipment, and uncreating, assembly, hook up after the move.
- Consults on the HSE needs and establishes protocols for all transportation - prepares all DOT requirements for transportation (air, rail, road, hand carry) of lab machines, equipment, specialty glassware, chemicals that will be moved - to the new site, donated or disposed of.
- Performs and/or coordinates all needed hazard and risk assessments for the 3 locations and work activities to decommission, move, reassemble, built and commissioned
- Plan for a smooth and timely transition to operations - ensures that HSE compliance such as planning for HSE permits and regulatory filings are prepared and submitted and coordinates all PSSR and readiness assessments
- Previous laboratory experience in any industry.
- Minimum of Bachelors Degree in Health, Environment, and Safety or related discipline
- Valid Drivers License and reliable vehicle (some travel within Houston metropolitan area, within 40 miles)
- Process safety knowledge - including work experience with high temperature and pressure equipment and particularly hazardous chemicals in labs.
- Interpret design standards and regulatory requirements to ensure incorporation and the practical implications for those working in the facility (waste generation, chemical storage, control areas, NFPA, TCEQ, EPA)
- Ability to coordinate simultaneous operations including several trades working to LOTO, de-commission, de-pressurize, crate and pack specialized lab equipment
- Working knowledge of DOT requirements to transport and ship chemicals or potentially hazardous materials. Certification to sign documentation preferred
- Some travel between Houston and California required