One of our major clients, a chemical company, is seeking a Quality Lab Technician to work a 1-year assignment in Geismar, Louisiana.
This position will work rotating, 12-hour shifts: (5am-5pm) and (5pm-5am). Every other weekend off.
The selected candidate must have the ability to work as part of a team, understand chemical and instrument measurement processes, be self-motivated, and willing to develop technical knowledge and understanding of the chemical and measurement processes involved in the respective unit.
- Responsible for quality assurance testing of in process samples, raw materials, intermediates, and finished goods within the scope of the Company Quality Policy.
- Using appropriate software to evaluate data based on internal and external specifications, support the continuous improvement of lab and plant processes through QA/QC activities and meet and/or exceed customer expectations.
- Analyze raw materials, intermediate products, finished products and other chemical samples and evaluate suitability according to established specifications to ensure quality and availability of final product.
- Analyze samples, provide quality data and become an active member along with the Lab Supervisor and Production personnel to provide innovative ideas to improve lab and plant processes and demonstrate continuous improvement.
- Know, understand and use software tools such as Lotus Notes, LabWare, SAP, Microsoft Office Programs, etc. which enhance quality reporting.
- Ensure the suitability of laboratory equipment through proper operation, maintenance, calibration, verification and good quality control and assessment activities.
- Generate quality data and significant statistical data to support plant personnel in their efforts to enhance process control, meet customer requirements and continuously improve our product quality characteristics.
Skill and Education Requirements:
- Minimum 2-year Associate's degree in Chemistry or 2 year technical degree in analytical testing in Chemistry or related field is preferred, or at least 2 year experience working in a chemical manufacturing laboratory environment.
- Basic understanding of general chemistry.
- Basic understanding of theory, operation, calibration, maintenance and troubleshooting of laboratory instrumentation such as gas chromatographs, viscometers, spectrophotometers, pH meters, titrators, etc.
- Basic understanding of the techniques of quality assurance and quality control.
- Basic understanding of math and statistics.
- Basic understanding of ISO/RCMS quality system requirements.
- Basic computer skills using software packages such as Microsoft Office, Power BI, SAP, Lotus Notes, etc.
- Occasional lifting, bending and twisting of various range and motion requiring physical exertion when handling materials, drums or equipment.
- Ability to lift 30-50 pounds.
- Ability to stand and walk in work environment majority of time.
- Occasional use of stairs required.
- Occasional use of respiratory protection.