Airswift has been tasked by one of it's key clients to recruit an Environmental Representative for Pipeline Pre-Construction Surveys to join them on a contract position in Tanzania.
Profile of role
- Knowledge of EACOP pipeline route, familiar with environmental context in Tanzania
- Preferably involved in previous EACOP ESIA surveys
- Environmental qualification – generalist env specialists required; for specific subject matters then topics will need to be taken back to the office for clarification with subject specialists (e.g. botanists etc).
- Understand Tanzania regulations requirements for additional activities (e.g. spoil management, borrow pits etc)
- Understand existing EACOP ESIAs (and ESBS)
- Understand EACOP Critical Habitat Assessments (CHAs) including GIS mapping
- Have knowledge of the terrain
- Identify additional data needs during the survey so as to inform additional data requirements by environmental specialists post pre-construction survey
- Participate in preparation briefings and inductions prior to mobilization to the field
Pre-Construction Survey Activities
- Participate in pre-construction survey as part of one of the Groups in Tanzania, representing EACOP Environmental position
- Provide environmental context to inform construction contractor on engineering gathering and design/construction methodology especially for the environmentally sensitive areas such as wetlands, watercourses, etc. (e.g. river crossing scheduling concerning env context)
- Flag changes between design/construction methodology versus ESIA (e.g. open cut/HDD)
- Guide video and photos so that correct naming and information is being gathered
- Record relevant information for alternatives analysis (and also ensure information is recorded by CPP)
- Provide post-survey debriefing to EACOP Environment and Biodiversity Tz team including relevant findings from pre-construction surveys that will need to be incorporated into construction drawings and CPP’s construction methodology for the sensitive areas such as wetlands, watercourse, etc.
- Participate in post-survey discussions on construction methodologies and provide evaluation / input from environmental perspective.
Context and environment
The EACOP project includes the oil export pipeline, several above ground facilities, a marine terminal and tie-in point for a refinery and possible 3rd party shippers. The Pipeline project will be the largest privately led transnational infrastructure project ever undertaken in East African region which raises high level geo-political, public international law considerations as well as complex high-risk cost, transportation, commercial, environmental and local content issues in a delicate partnership and regulatory context.
- Represent EACOP as Environmentalist in CPP Pre-Construction Survey team in Tanzania
- Provision of environmental context and advice to inform construction contractor on environmental sensitivities and engineering gathering and design/construction methodologies
Qualifications and Required Experience
Professional experience: Master’s degree or equivalent in an environment, sustainability or science related discipline.
Minimum of 15 years’ experience with time spent supporting projects and operations within oil and gas industry.
Knowledge of EACOP pipeline route, familiar with environmental context, and prior involvement in previous ESIA surveys
Familiarity with IFC standard ESIAs and management plans and systems that support the objectives of the IFC performance standards and EHS guidelines. In depth technical knowledge and experience in application of good international industry practice.
Experience in practical implementation of IFC standard ESIA requirements on other pipeline projects internationally.
Proven ability to work independently and meet deadlines
Behavioral competencies: Ability to work in a multi-cultural business setting and excellent interpersonal and communication skills essential.
Fluent in English, (speaking, writing)
Should you be interested in this exciting opportunity, please apply to this advert with your up-to-date resume.