Our client, a government sector, is seeking a Deputy Chief Secretary for Strategic Planning – President and Bougainville Executive Council to work within their facilities located in Buka Town, Papua New Guinea for permanent position.
Deputy Chief Sec. - Strategic Planning & Policy Coordination
The Deputy Chief Secretary - Strategic Planning is responsible to the Chief Secretary for:
The Deputy Chief Secretary - Strategic Planning is accountable to the Chief Secretary for:
Profile & Selection Criteria: -
Leadership within the Public Service:
- Excellent leadership is essential to ensuring that the Department, and the Public Service as a whole, can function effectively. As a senior office-holder, the Deputy Chief Secretary – Strategic Planning is expected to lead by example. The Deputy Chief Secretary - Strategic Planning will work in a spirit of service and strive towards the overall goal of a world-class, professional public service, serving the government of the day and meeting the needs of all Bougainvilleans.
The Deputy Chief Secretary - Strategic Planning will be a proven leader, able to demonstrate current experience in a senior managerial position, whether in government or the private sector. To be considered suitable for appointment, an applicant, by providing evidence of skills and career experience, will be able to demonstrate the following qualities:
- A comprehensive understanding of the autonomy arrangements under the Bougainville Peace Agreement and relevant constitutional provisions;
- Executive leadership capability, with an ability to motivate and interact with people at all levels, in order to maximise the quality and contributions of the Department in delivering practical outcomes;
- An ability to think strategically and analytically about the highly complex, sensitive and technical issues facing the ABG, and to then translate that thinking into practical effort, directed towards achieving goals within available resources;
- Proven communication skills, accompanied by an ability to develop and maintain effective and positive working relationships with key stakeholders;
- A reputation for independence, fairness and sound judgment, while maintaining the highest standards of honesty and personal and professional integrity.
Desired experience and qualifications: -
To be appointed as Deputy Chief Secretary - Strategic Planning, a person will:
- Hold a appropriate tertiary qualification in public policy, business administration from a recognised institution nationally or internationally;
- Have at least 5 years' recent experience as a senior manager within government or the private sector;
- Be a fit and proper person to be appointed to the Bougainville Public Service
Mandatory matters regarding qualification for appointment: -
Under Section 25 of the Bougainville Senior Appointments Act 2014, a person is not qualified for
appointment as Deputy Chief Secretary - Strategic Planning if the person is:
- a member of, or a candidate for election to, the House of Representatives, the National Parliament, a Provincial Government, a community government or other local-level government body or authority; or
- an officeholder in a registered political party; or
- an undischarged bankrupt; or
- of unsound mind; or
- under sentence of death or imprisonment; or 5
- aged 65 years or older.