Airswift is seeking a Core Flooding Engineering Laboratory Technician to work with their client for an 8-month assignment in Pau, France.
This service mainly concerns the RCC and LCC labs, experiments in reservoir conditions. The need requires expertise in laboratory equipment, in pressure and temperature, in the use of solvents.
The service concerns the preparation of carrots and the performance of sweeping in reservoir conditions, that is to say in tank temperature and pressure.
The service must cover the performance of night and weekend on-call duty, outside working hours.
The preparation of the carrots consists of carrying out the following operations: sheathing and cell, washing and preliminary characterizations. The purpose of washing and preliminary characterization is to be able to select carrots which will then be used for sweeps.
Carrying out sweeps consists of mounting the core on a bench adapted to the reservoir conditions, measuring its static parameters, fill in water, put in oil, let macerate and conduct the injections of fluids: water various composition, gas. The object of these scans is the determination of recovery coefficients and parameters used to judge the efficiency of water or gas sweeping and certain improved recovery processes.
Preparation of carrots:
• Preparation of the core: relationship with the core, sheathing and specific cells for washing
• Carrot washing by injection of solvents (toluene, isopropanol)
• Acquisition of static data: pore volume by P / Z method (gas expansion), Kg measurement, tracing miscible
Carrying out sweeping experiments on reservoir cores:
• Assembly in cell and on final bench with RX monitoring and able to manage pressure conditions and tank temperature: installation of the bench, assembly of the core, installation of the crimping pressure, RX profiles dry, brine, RX profiles in brine, Swi setting with a synthetic oil (displacement viscous, evaporation or other method), RX profiles at Swi, measurement of Ko (Swi), oil replacement synthetic by dead oil, then by recombinant oil after a rise in pressure and temperature, measurement of Ko with reservoir oil, X-ray images, maceration, Ko measurement after maceration.
• Carrying out the sweeping: preparation of the brines, gas or not, and / or preparation of the gases to be injected, injection at an initial flow rate, then carrying out increases in flow rate, possible change of fluid. Safeguarding information.
• Realization of RX images at Sor, miscible tracing and determination of the volume of residual oil. Washing and drying of samples. Referencing of samples and return to the core library.
• The assembly carried out and the monitoring put in place will allow monitoring of in-situ saturations (doping of certain fluids and use of X-ray), quantification of volumes injected, monitoring of oil and water production, monitoring permanent pressure with the installation of suitable sensors.
• Data consistency checks at each stage. For example, check of consistency of measurements of permeability between them: Kw, Ko before maceration, Ko after maceration or the consistency of the material balance with X-ray measurements and miscible tracings at the end of handling.
• Participation in updating quality and HSE documents: test sheets, operating procedures.
• Participation in the definition of material needs with the RCE team (investment, contacts with some suppliers).
Interpretation of flows:
• Interpret measurements, develop interpretive know-how with specialists, in the areas of Injection gas, Water injection. Be the guarantor of the quality of the data provided. Write and transmit reports techniques of laboratory actions and interpretations.
• Communicate internally (visits, technical days, memos, reports), communicate externally (congresses, publications).
Help with study management:
• Assist in planning workshop activities.
• Design the study programs, define the conditions of the experiments: fluids, cores, pre-simulation, equipment, monitoring program to provide quality interpretation, interacting during these phases with the various stakeholders (experts, technicians, customers).
• Help set up the program.
• Facilitate team meetings: study start-up, internal quality control and final meetings with clients.
• Participate in technical meetings in the field of security (HAZOP, HSE visits) or the definition of work upstream of the experiments.
• Ensure the links between the RCC service and the other interfaces: customers, internal laboratories, subcontractors.
• Propose technical improvements, participate in the definition of investments.
• Test new technologies in the laboratory and be proactive.
• Taking into account and compliance with HSE rules and operating methods in force in the company’s laboratories and ARIS processes defined in the laboratories concerned.
• Wearing PPE in the laboratory: lab coat, safety glasses, safety shoes and gloves. PPE is supplied by the service provider.
• The use of and compliance with internal Quality Control tools and backup of information relating to tests.
• Use and knowledge of laboratory equipment: measuring equipment, cells, pumps, sensors, tubing, etc.
• Experience in the field of petro-physics, if possible in the preparation of carrots and the realization of sweeping.
• Knowledge of the management of pressure and temperature equipment (tools & risks).
• Fluency in French language and proficient use of the English language.
Work outside working hours / Additional monitoring service:
As part of the monitoring of certain phases of the experiments, additional services will be carried out, and so the constractor will be required to work schedules outside the working hours.
Two types of periods are defined:
• Weekday night surveillance: from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. the next day, every night of the week except Weekend (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday evenings).
• Weekend surveillance: from 8 am on Saturday morning to 8 am on Monday morning.
The current basis for this monitoring is 6 weeks, as follows:
• 2 weeks before sweeping when the core contains carbonated oil, at tank pressure and temperature.
• 3 weeks of sweeping with injections of fluids upstream and recovery of fluids downstream of the core.
• 1 week of additional monitoring during the drop in pressure and temperature (core emptied gradually of its gassed fluid).
This base will be discussed before each manipulation and adapted according to its objective, and therefore can be modified. A maximum of two monitoring periods is envisaged in the year. A precise schedule will be provided for validation three weeks before the start of monitoring.
Monitoring consists of being reachable by phone. In the event of a problem related to pressure disturbances / temperature, a system calls the employee's phone number as well as a statutory one. Both move on site for intervention. The intervention consists of securing the experience.
For each of the two monitors, two cases must be foreseen: monitoring without intervention and monitoring with intervention.
Organization of the Service:
• The information necessary for the success of the experiments will be provided by the interlocutors EIS / LABS techniques to the service company: documents preliminary to the experiments.
• Technical points will be discussed between the company representative and the contractor all weeks to discuss the technical progress of operations.
• Laboratories and equipment must be kept clean and tidy.
• Participate in the Quality Control meeting at the end of the test, if it takes place.
• Electronic files must be stored in the directories designated for this purpose.
• The end of the service will end with a review meeting of the service: verification of the quality of the service, of the existence of the planned deliverables.
• The provision of all the results in the format usually used by the laboratory (spreadsheet under Excel, CR Word and Powerpoint format) at the end of each test.
• Writing emails allowing progress to be made with the measurements taken during these different stages.
• It is not expected from providers of specific reports at the end of the experiments. Nevertheless the preparation of data is expected, such as diagrams, experimental results, clean-up of experimental information, interpretation of results.