The Applications Chemist is primarily responsible for testing carbon black products in various printing systems, formulations, and processing. They are studying effects on properties such as color, rheology, abrasion, flow etc. in support of the the Client's Specialty Pigments carbon black business. Secondarily, the incumbent will have support duties in other areas such as analytical testing of carbon blacks and performance of carbon blacks in all specialty applications: adhesives, refractory, batteries, plastics, etc. They may be asked to support other departments: Quality, EHS, Production, etc.
- Receive, log in and archive products that are received into the incumbent’s work area.
- Perform direct laboratory evaluations either with the help of other technicians or by performing evaluations personally. The incumbent will be the lead expert on carbon black performance in the system.
- Write technical reports on laboratory evaluations as well as provide monthly contributions.
- Evaluate and write test procedures for new applications or equipment
- Update current test methods
- Ensure test methods used are up-to-date and applicable to current standard industry test methods.
- Assist other technicians in areas of data evaluation or test method evaluation as well as cross-train in coatings area to provide support.
- Document all work through the various computer databases and lab notebooks as required.
- Bachelor's degree in chemistry or other physical science or and 2 years printing/ink lab experience in an industrial chemical laboratory.
- The incumbent will have extensive knowledge on Printing Systems formulations, applications, pigment grinding process, and different tests done in the printing industry.
- The incumbent should have a personality that is agreeable and allows the incumbent to effectively work within the local and global team.
- The incumbent should be able to write and speak clearly, coherently and correctly using the technical terms that are part of the ink industry.
- The incumbent should be able to work independently and take charge of an assignment by planning it, executing it, reporting its findings and communication of the findings to the appropriate people by means of a written technical report.
- The incumbent must be disciplined and make sure work is completed when required and follow-up to TMMs inquiries is timely.