- Develop and oversee the implementation of an instrumentation strategy to accomplish the overall objectives of the organisation.
- Initiate, implement and manage the plant instrumentation maintenance programmes based on best practices in the cement industry, with an emphasis on planning/scheduling and preventive/predictive maintenance.
- Oversee the preparation of division/department capital and operating budgets.
- Ensure that instrumentation engineers and technicians are adequately trained, equipped, and motivated to ensure that the maintenance program can be accomplished in a safe, timely, and cost-effective manner.
- Coordinate and direct the activities of the instrumentation staff to ensure that the reliability and availability of plant systems and equipment.
- Oversee the maintenance of existing plant instrumentation facilities and equipment; replacement and adjustments to plant facilities where necessary.
- Ensure cost effective systems of control over capital, operating expenditures and manpower and initiate and carry out projects that improve efficiency and/or reduce operating costs.
- Track, analyse and improve key maintenance parameters such as asset utilisation, maintenance cost, schedule compliance, etc.
- Direct, maintain and enforce the safety program for the maintenance department; review safety records to uphold standards of maximum safety for all maintenance engineers and technicians.
- Coordinate activities and communicate with the operations department to coordinate maintenance and repair work in process areas.
- Review plant instrumentation equipment maintenance projections and schedules.
- Ensure that equipment preventive maintenance programmes are implemented as per agreed schedule.
- Monitor the effectiveness of the programmes, maintenance reworks and makes recommendations.
- Enforce standards and safe work procedures for the plant and ensure regulations relating to the instrumentation department are met at all times.
- Provide training, development and leadership to plant instrumentation personnel.
- Perform any other duties as may be assigned by the Deputy Plant Director (Operations & Maintenance).