Our client is seeking an Accounting Analyst II to join their team on a 3-months contract assignment with possible extensions, working in Houston, TX.
Analyst, Joint Venture Accounting
- Analyst, Joint Venture Accounting is responsible for preparing the general financial aspects of matters impacting our joint venture arrangements.
- The Joint Venture group is the primary point of contact acting to ensure the optimization of the financial performance of our joint venture activities and to proactively and retroactively respond to the needs of both our internal and external stakeholders.
- They are responsible for keeping accurate accounting and budgeting records, facilitating proper cash management procedures, maintaining positive business relationships with partners, and leveraging knowledge and experience to assist other departments as various requests or issues arise.
- Prepare monthly financial statements and support schedules to be provided to internal management and partners
- Prepare monthly journal entries including joint venture billings
- Perform research and analysis for ad hoc questions or requests from partners
- Interact with other groups inside the company (including Business Development, Treasury, and Reporting)
- Prepare annual budgets for internal management and individual joint ventures
- Prepare and coordinate cash calls and cash distributions with partners
- Prepare quarterly and annual FERC Form 3 and Form 2 reports
- Prepare account reconciliations and monthly actual variance analysis
- Coordinate and interact with internal and external auditors on quarterly and year-end audits
- Ensure compliance with SOX controls and related reporting requirements
- Special projects as required
- The Analyst, Joint Venture Accounting interacts with all levels of management throughout the organization in order to develop and maintain processes to ensure optimization of joint venture performance (including optimization of cost recovery by Enbridge) and compliance with financial terms of applicable agreements.
- Expected to generate actionable recommendations to senior leaders, auditors and joint venture financial managers to resolve issues as they are identified.
- Internal Stakeholders:
- Business Development - Interactions include assisting in partnership negotiations, managing partner relationships, creating and understanding operating and construction budgets and supporting Management Committee operations.
- Regulatory - Interactions include assisting during rate proceedings and other filings, ensuring accounting policies are in-line with and support regulatory requirements.
- Legal - Interactions include assisting during partnership negotiations and on any issues that may arise later (i.e. closing out potential findings from partnership audits)
- Economic Evaluation - Interactions include ensuring their economic models are updated appropriately to result in representational IRRs.
- Treasury - Interactions include assisting during financing transactions, with annual ratings agency presentations for the partnerships and with cash management matters.
- Tax - Interactions include discussing income and property tax impacts on potential transactions, partnership negotiations, and accounting policies.
- Other accounting functions (Financial Reporting, FP&A) - Including CAO, Operations Accounting Controller, and direct reports. Interactions include ensuring financial reporting disclosures are accurate and fairly presented, assisting in research and documentation on technical accounting matters, and helping FP&A group create, maintain, and understand annual operating budgets.
- Investor Relations - Interactions include explaining operational and financial results, organizational structures and similar matters.
- External Stakeholders:
- Accounting point of contact for our partnerships - Interactions include assisting with their accounting policies, review of monthly operating results, forecasting future results for their internal reporting purposes and dealing with joint venture audits.
- Independent auditors and audit staff from joint venture partners - facilitating auditor access, responding to questions, supporting company positions.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Bachelor degree required in Accounting or Finance
- 2+ years or equivalent of related experience
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels in the organization
- Excellent organization, planning, and analytical skills
- Understand fundamentals of FERC reporting, US GAAP, Reporting Standards, and Financial Controls.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively solve problems by using analytical skills to reach a logical conclusion.
- Demonstrated ability to be action oriented and highly motivational.
- Demonstrated analytical and problem-solving skills with an ability to evaluate information gathered from multiple sources.
- Ability to prioritize, handle and track multiple assignments.